It’s pretty obvious that you can walk almost anywhere you like, but as you get into walking you may want to try different routes and also walk with other like-minded people for motivation and company.
There are different types of walking activities that you can engage with and groups that specialise in facilitating them. You may care to walk in your local area or become a member of a specific walking group.
The following sites, apps and organisations will help you find the right type of walking route for you, as well highlight groups that facilitate activities and events. Ensure that the area you are walking in is safe to do so and remember, letting someone know you are heading out for a walk and where you are going is good practice.
- Walking for Health – The Health Walk scheme locates organised walks arranged for improving health conditions. The database allows for you to locate walks near to your home.
- National Trails - National Trails takes you out in to the country for hill walking with trails that pass through some of the most stunning landscapes in the UK
- National Trust - Walking routes in parklands and trials around the country.
- Walk London - London’s top seven walking routes including Thames path route
- Ramblers – There are hundreds of walks organised each week
- Woodland Trust – Over 1,000 woods to visit, family trails with activities to engage in and UK nature explained.
- UK Footpath, Bridleway and Byway maps – National maps on all designated footpaths, with places of interest and right to roam.
Walking groups and organisations
- Living Streets - Working to make the streets you live, work, shop and play in safe, attractive and enjoyable spaces. Campaigns for a national walking month in May
- Ramblers - Britain's biggest walking community
- Walk4Life - Find walks, events and groups to walk with
- Walk Unlimited (formerly Walk England) - A Social Enterprise helping people walk
- Country File walking groups - A collection of resources and suggestions for walking groups in the country.
Walking exercise programmes
- British Heart Foundation - Walking training schedules for beginner intermediate and advanced
- Ramblers – Wales pedometer Challenge
- The Walking site - Tips for walking faster
- World Walking - Gives you walking goals to aim for
- Nordic Walking – Enhanced walking style using arm swing and supportive poles
- British lung foundation – Stay active stay well videos for long term lung conditions
Click on the links below or search for the app in the app store for your device: